Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day 24/365

January 24

Trying to feed my family heathier this year, I've been using (and adapting) recipes from the website Eat Better America. What I like about the recipes is they don't require that you replace every single ingredient you're accustomed to using with a host of ingredients that makes the finished product dry and bland. The original recipe is presented along with a version using healthier substitutes so if I don't want to use wheat flour but I do want to use low-fat sour cream, I can pick and choose between the two recipes. I've always used lower fat substitutes for things like cream cheese and sour cream in my cooking so this website is a good fit with my natural style.

One recipe I am not willing to give up is my blueberry muffin recipe. You have to indulge on some things! I did try to make one substitution to make the muffins lower fat but I wasn't pleased with the texture of them. My family didn't notice but I thought using buttermilk in lieu of the oil made the texture a little gummy instead of tender. It reminded me of one of those giant muffins you buy at a convenience store. Blech.

So this recipe will stand as it is from this point on!

Blueberry Muffins

2 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg, well beaten
2/3 c. milk
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1 c. fresh or 3/4 c. thawed and drained frozen blueberries

Topping
1/4 c. firmly packed brown sugar
1 T. softened butter
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 c. chopped pecans
Combine first 3 ingredients with a fork. Sprinkle on muffin batter and top with chopped pecans.


Heat oven to 400. Grease bottoms of 12 muffin cups. Combine the first 4 ingredients. Stir in remaining ingredients, just until dry ingredients are moistened. The batter will be lumpy. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups and sprinkle with topping. Bake 20-25 minutes.


P.S. Don't tell the calorie police but I double the topping.
Pin It!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails