Thursday, January 28, 2010

What's Eating Gilbert Grape

That title has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm blogging about today. I used to try to creatively tie my blog titles in with the topic but anymore, I always use "Day ____ / _____" or "New Fiskars Project!" When I tried to exercise that creative part of my brain today, the first thing that came to mind was What's Eating Gilbert Grape. I've never seen the movie. I have no idea why it came to my mind. I'm sharing it to humiliate myself. Kind of like when someone wants to get in shape so they take off all their make-up and dress in the most unflattering outfit they can find and take a self-portrait in the bathroom mirror with a frown on their face. They get real. If I'm ever going to get my atrophied brain back in shape, I have to be real, too. So that's all I got.

I have a couple of photos to share later today but I wanted to stop and share a few unrelated things now.

First, my last project for the month for the sketch theme on the Fiskars website.

My assignment here was to use 1 sketch on 2 different projects. I'm so smitten with shirred material so I started with this pillow in mind and created my sketch.
pillow

And from there, I made a card using the sketch.
card

Full instructions for the pillow and the card, and a sketch, can be found here.

Next, continuing the idea of starting with a point of inspiration, I hope you'll go check out this challenge blog. For those who arrived here from the link there, welcome! The blog contributors have lifted a project of mine and created the most amazing cards.
To tempt you to go look at all 14 of the cards there, here's just one sample.

card lift


I'm always completely honored when anyone finds something I make to be worthy of interpreting into their own art. And I adore seeing their interpretations. This made my day!

And finally, two links with a simlar theme.
If it wouldn't require me stalking, I think I would be fast friends with this girl.
jennifer garner
I've never been very aware of Jennifer Garner other than to think it's refreshing to not see her picture plastered all over the tabloids.

Parade Magazine has an interview with her this week and she seems like a truly nice person. In the interview, she said something that really struck me and made me want to shout, "Amen, sister!"

In the interview, she said (firmly, according to the interviewer), “I will tell you what I can’t abide—and I think the Internet has really created a space for it—women criticizing other women and mothers criticizing other mothers. It just makes me crazy, whether it’s between staying at home, going to work, how long you breast-feed, if you use formula. I feel like we should just assume everyone is doing the best they can. Women should take care of each other, not tear each other down.

Women should take care of each other, not tear each other down. It makes me so sad when I see this happening, and not just within the realm of motherhood. So you don't mistake me, I'm not excluding myself here. I have the natural tendency to sometimes look at things other women do that I don't agree with (or simply don't like) and before I take the time to even get somewhat informed (or ask myself, "So what if you don't like it?") express my opinion in a not-so-nice way. I try very hard to make sure when I have the overwhelming urge to do it, I share those opinions with Shawn because I know he'll very quickly put me in my place if I'm just being self-righteous. And whatever I say will go no further than him.

I'm not saying we shouldn't be honest when we don't care for something. I'm not saying we shouldn't have a sense of humor and enjoy parodies and teasing one another. And I'm definitely not saying we shouldn't speak out against some things we see or hear because not everything that is a personal choice is a good choice. But without first considering our intention with sharing our opinions and whether what's "assaulting" our senses is really something that is harmful (yes, I know that's open to interpretation!) to another in some way, far too often our words, especially if they're intentionally hurtful, do absolutely nothing constructive.

Along the same vein, a few days after that line in the interview stood out to me, Stephanie Howell posted this wonderful entry, On the Subject of Being Kind on her blog. Good stuff.

I hope you'll find some inspiration in some of the links I've shared today!
Pin It!

2 comments:

chris jenkins said...

thank you for sharing that. i see it too often. life is hard. as women, we should be building each other up.

Anna-Maria said...

Wow Kendra... thank you for choose my cardlift!
Your works are amazing and so inspire!

Related Posts with Thumbnails