Friday, March 12, 2010

Proud Moment

fire academy graduation kelsey 2
Most of you probably don't know that I have a sister that's quite a bit younger than me. My mom gave birth to her a few months before I graduated from high school.


fire academy graduation kelsey 3
In spite of the 18 year age difference between us, we've always been very close. I can even provide proof. I have a birthday card she gave to me when she was about 6 or 7 and it's addressed to "my best friend."


fire academy graduation kelsey 4
I worked very hard to earn that status. I changed lots of diapers. I did girly things I'd never done before like try to braid her hair even though we were both crying by the time I finished trying.


fire academy graduation kelsey 6
I was her biggest confidant. I never even told anyone about that day we were riding in the car and she started crying and pointing at her nose and how, after I pulled the car over, I used my fingers to dig 3 wads of foam from her carseat out of her nostrils. I'm very good at keeping secrets.


fire academy graduation kelsey 19
I learned so much about babies and small children from the time I spent with her that I felt fairly well equipped for Caelan when I brought him home. And a few weekends ago, I felt the pride I'm certain a parent feels when one of their children takes that first step on the path of adult independence, when you know they've made a life choice that leaves you feeling secure that they can make it on their own.
Pin It!

8 comments:

Laura Fiore said...

Amazing photos Kendra! And huge congrats to your sister and you for your part in helping make her the young woman she is today!

Courtney Walsh said...

So awesome, Kendra! Congrats to you both! :)

jkhenson said...

Thank you for sharing a wonderful and exciting moment! Congrats on a fantastic achievement and your friendship! :)

Kristi said...

That is great! I didn't know she was doing that(or maybe I do have alzheimers).

Great photos!

Pam said...

Wow! You are right, I had no idea you had a sister at all! But you guys look a lot alike! Congrats to her! I bet you all are very proud of her! I know that I am and don't even know her!

Kimberly said...

This is so sweet...brought tears to my eyes...I'm a bit on the emotional side right now...but this is just such a PRECIOUS post! I LOVE it...and I have to say...you grew a couple inches taller than I already had you with this sweetest post ever!
Loves and blessings,
K

Kimberly said...

This is so sweet...brought tears to my eyes...I'm a bit on the emotional side right now...but this is just such a PRECIOUS post! I LOVE it...and I have to say...you grew a couple inches taller than I already had you with this sweetest post ever!
Loves and blessings,
K

Emily Pitts said...

geez, you made me cry. i bet you didn't mean to, so i'll forgive you :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails