Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Join Me In the Garden!

article 1 garden preparation
My first gardening article for the Fiskars website is up! My whole family is excited about this new venture. I'm excited because I enjoy writing and really want to encourage family gardening by being real, sharing both our successes and failures. Shawn's excited because, since I'll be writing these articles bi-weekly through the fall and photos will be included, the garden will be very well tended this year. The boys are excited because we got a lot of great Fiskars garden tools to make our job easier this year. Which reminds me of something I need to clarify.

In the article, I write about the added expense of giving each boy his own set of tools. My point was that for anyone, this would be an added expense but, from the results I experienced through doing this, the benefits make the added expense well worth it. I executed this poorly in the article and with my example, it reads as if there was added expense for me personally. I need to clarify upfront that any Fiskars tools I use have been provided to me by Fiskars. I'm sure most readers get that but I don't want anyone to think I'm being dishonest!



hummingbird feeder bottles
Also new on the Fiskars website is an article I wrote on crafting for the garden. You can see how I recycled this already fantastic SoBe bottle. . .



hummingbird feeder
into this hummingbird feeder. I'm going to hang it outside today.

I included the Vitamin Water bottle and peanut butter jar lid in the first photo to show that you can recycle a variety of materials to make them with children as well. Glass bottles and glass etching cream don't make for a very kid-friendly craft!

Also included in the article are instructions for making the fabric garden markers shown in the photo at the top.

I hope you'll click on the links and find something useful for your family in these articles!
Pin It!

3 comments:

sherlonkahkai said...

Love the birdfeeder -- too cute and absolutely upcycled beauty! I just purchased my first Fiskar garden tools -- handheld shovel and rake -- to use with our Cub Scout den. I just might add the bird feeder, too.

Kristi Smith said...

I feel so jilted. lol You are so funny. You worry too much. ;)

Such cute projects. I love the little vegetables, what a cute idea and I like how you showed how to use the Fiskars templates to make them.

I really would like to have a garden, but who would take care of it for me? :)

Michelle said...

Kendra, I am very excited to read your gardening articles. LOVE LOVE LOVE the hummingbird feeder ! I must make one, definitely. Off to go read your articles now. Very excited for you and for us for getting to follow you along in the garden.

Related Posts with Thumbnails