Sunday, April 25, 2010

They Got 5 Stars

da bomb cookies 2
I was thinking about Kristi as I made cookies Friday night. I thought about how she was the person who pointed out to me that if there's a lot of humidity in the air when you're baking cookies, they will come out with little pinholes all over them. It's been raining since Friday afternoon so I had a whole lot of pinholes Friday night.

da bomb cookies 1
Another reason I was thinking about her is because her son, Cole, named these "Da Bomb" cookies. I don't get to spend time with Cole anymore since Kristi and her husband and Cole moved far, far away (5 whole hours away) about 6 years ago. His tastebuds may have become more tolerant but when they lived in the other half of our duplex, Cole was just about the most "selective" eater I've ever seen. But if you gave him these cookies, he said they were da bomb. It's not my own recipe. My mother-in-law gave it to me about 20 years ago. Even though it's not my own recipe, baking something that elicited 5 stars from Cole sure did make me feel good. So can you imagine how much joy the average taste buds will get from Da Bomb cookies? If you want to bring that kind of joy to a mouthful of tastebuds near you, here's how you do it.

Coconut Oatmeal Cookies (AKA Da Bomb Cookies)

1 c. butter (room temperature)
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 egg
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. old fashioned oats
1 1/2 c. coconut

Preheat oven to 350.

Blend butter and sugars in a bowl. Add egg and vanilla and mix well. Add next 4 ingredients, mixing well. If the mixture is too heavy for your mixer, stir in the oatmeal and coconut by hand.

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto a cookie sheet and bake 8-10 minutes. The cookies need to be lightly brown on the edges and may look slighly undercooked in the center. Leave on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling racks.

Trust me on the undercooked-looking centers. If you leave them in the oven until the centers look done, you might be visiting the dentist. And that is definitely not da bomb.


da bomb cookies 3
And trust me on the level of goodness in these. He gives them 5 stars, too.
Pin It!

4 comments:

Courtney Walsh said...

oooh, I am going to try these!! they look wonderful and two of my favorite flavors! :) plus...I *think* I can make them gluten free!

Kristi Smith said...

lol, your memory is so much better than mine. Although we probably remember different things about each other's children. Oh, I miss our "little" kids. :( Bob the Builder will forever remind me of Will. And taking out the trash will forever remind me of Caelan. lol

I haven't made these for awhile, I think these cookies are okay with pinholes. I just hate for my oatmeal chocolate chips ones to have pinholes. :)

I never like coconut in anything until I had these cookies. Well, except sometimes the icing on a German Chocolate Cake.

Anonymous said...

Do you need my address? :)

Anonymous said...

Did you use unsweetened or sweetened shredded coconut?

Related Posts with Thumbnails