Thursday, May 6, 2010

DORKs

DORKs  2
Last entry I whined about a bunch of things including being sick and late nights at baseball. Well I'm still sick. Just not enough to whine anymore, as long as you let me sleep. Lots of sleep. And that means I've made it to page 17 in my Mary Heart/Martha World book because when I sit down, it's not long before I'm gone.

I spent the day Tuesday grocery shopping, took a trip to the nursery with Will to buy flowers for his very own garden, came home and helped him plant the garden, then headed out for a night of watching Caelan play baseball games. We came home after they lost both games, I cooked dinner, and we sat down to eat at 10 PM. Even at 10 PM, I love our family meals together at the table. So all-in-all, it was a good day!

The boys lost both games which meant many moments of disappointment but these girls still make it a fun time. Jenny joins in the fun but by the time we took this photo, she had already left to go home.

I don't quite remember how it happened but Jenifer (in the middle) and I commenced the DORK club several weeks ago. I immediately elected her President. She is, afterall, dorkier than me. Way dorkier. To be completely fair, she just doesn't have an embarrassment sensor so on the surface, she's a bigger dork. I hide it better. She's also the instigator. She's the reason we all end up doing things like dancing in the bleachers to Sweet Caroline. I wonder if the kids were more appalled that Neil Diamond music was playing over their loudspeaker or by the moms dancing!

So we were telling Teresa (on the left) about the DORK club and that led us to discussing what DORK is an acronym for. And then the husbands and sons started impatiently tapping their feet because the game was over and they all had empty stomachs.

When I got home, I had an email from Teresa. Daughter(s) Of the Righteous King. That's what you find when you search Google for an acronym for dork!

It reinforced what I've been thinking about a lot over the past few months. We moved to Bolivar nearly 8 years ago. After spending the first 31 years of my life in Kansas City, it was such a difficult move for me. Shawn and I were talking about it last week and he said, "I really didn't think you were going to make it." I remember telling a friend as recently as a year ago that if I outlive Shawn, I didn't know if I'd stay in Bolivar. Whether or not the boys stayed here or moved away to live their adult lives would be the deciding factor. But over the last year, I've done a lot of self-reflection. I've let go of superficial things that I was holding onto in Kansas City. I've made an effort to get out more and to reach out to others here for friendship. I know now that Bolivar is my home. The bulk of my Hamburger List is here, mainly women with hearts for the Lord. The rest of you on my list will just have to come visit me in the land of DORKs! I promise you'll get a warm welcome.

Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to get this one to move back to Bolivar!
"glamorous" kristi
Pin It!

3 comments:

Jenifer (President of the DORKs) said...

Kendra, I am SO glad you decided to stick it out in Bolivar !! I have ejoyed getting to know you. I love that we are DORKs together. You are an awesome woman !!
Love you girl =0)

...."Sweeeet Caroline....da da la ...."

jkhenson said...

Love the photos and post! Maybe I need to get my own group of DORKs together! ;) Love that you have a group of faithful friends, that you don't mind getting silly :) that you enjoy supporting your family even when you're not feeling 100%-and dinners together-we try to do that too! :)

I read Martha/Mary for our circle at church a few years back. I really enjoyed it. What do you think thus far... to page 17? ;)

Have a great Mother's Day!!

Kristi Smith said...

I wanna be a member of your DORK club(my upper lip totally pouted when I wrote that)!

Glad you have some DORKS to hang around with. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails