Monday, May 17, 2010

Pretty Jars and Pretty Jars of Jam

It's raining here again today. I was up at 5:30 letting one of the dogs out and we were having the strangest rain I've ever seen. The raindrops were so fine it looked like fog but it was obviously raining. At least it was obvious when I stepped out into the "fog" and got my shirt wet. It reminded me of the scene in Forrest Gump when he was telling Jenny about the rain in Vietnam.

One day it started raining, and it didn't quit for four months. We been through every kind of rain there is. Little bitty stingin' rain... and big ol' fat rain. Rain that flew in sideways. And sometimes rain even seemed to come straight up from underneath. Shoot, it even rained at night...

That's what it's been like here lately. It even seems like it's been going on for months! I'm going to take advantage of the overcast sky today, though, and get down in my room to get some photos of it.

We went to KC for a few hours Saturday and I had great hopes for lots of garage sale finds. Instead, we found lots of rain. It was big ol' fat rain. Not good for a day of bargain hunting.

blue canning jars
This is the only thing I came home with. $2.50 for the whole box. I don't even need any more of them but they were such a good deal I couldn't pass them up! They make pretty storage containers so I'll find some way to use them.


making jam 2010
And yesterday I made strawberry jam. My first batch of the season.


vintage inspired apron
I finally made myself stop saving my pretty vintage inspired apron I made almost a year ago.

making jam 2010  2
We've been using all the strawberries we pick every day for strawberry shortcake but not being home to eat any on Saturday left me with enough for 4 jars of jam.

I'll be posting step-by-step photos of my jam making sometime this week. I want to encourage everyone (EVERYONE) to try it. If you can boil water and stir a pan of strawberries and sugar, you can do this! But first things first. Photos of my scrapbook room tomorrow!
Pin It!

7 comments:

RCampa said...

WOW Kendra... lookin' YUMMY!! Oh, and the jam doesn't look half bad either! :D

LollyChops said...

I cannot wait to see the scrap room Kendra!!

Kendra said...

lol! My apron can always draw you out, Renee!

You'll like my room, Lolly. It's . . . TEAL!!!

Michelle said...

oh yes - please post the strawberry jam method. I want to try to make some, too. It looks so good.
Teal - love teal - can't wait to see your room. Add some yellow and it will totally explain one of the reasons I like you !

jkhenson said...

I'm looking forward to the photos, as well! And wow, that jam looked delicious! :)

Kristi Smith said...

lol @ Renee. Tell Shawn or Caelan nice job on the photos. I hope I can figure out how to get mine that crisp someday. I printed out Ken Rockwell's version of the D-80 manual today. Going to try to start studying an hour a day using different blogs and books. Also I asked Matt if I could by an external flash and of course he said "yes". lol

I want some jam!!! :)

And you look cute in your apron, I like the pic of you in the kitchen.

Kendra said...

I took that pic myself. They don't enjoy my camera as much as I do and I have to take about 30 pics before I find one that's acceptable so I bought a remote. Much easier than using the timer.

If you get to spend any time at my house next week, I'll show you how I sharpen my photos. You'll have to tell Matt you also need Photoshop!

One of these days I'm going to go to Texas and Matt Nicolosi is going to teach me everything he knows about photography (and his wife is going to teach me to make pretty pie crusts) so you'll have to come back again to relearn. Woo-hoo! You'll have to visit again!

Related Posts with Thumbnails