Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Catching Up

Can I just say that if you ever feel the need for a humbling moment, you should consider taking a beginner's typing course? Good night! If you're wondering if I thought I needed a new hobby, I'm doing it because it's part of my MTE course, to improve my skills. I've never considered myself to be a great typist. I use the home row. But I also use the backspace key. A lot. And I hunt and peck for the numbers if I'm not using the separate number pad. But I certainly never thougth I'd see numbers like 16 Net WPM.

I checked in at a whopping 75 Net WPM on The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. I hear you snickering! That's about where I land on all the typing tests. Ask me to follow and type 5 lines of asdlfkjadkfkdfjdlz.;zd;kppqol and the humiliation kicks in. It's a great tutorial, well structured. I think there's just a lot to be said about being able to anticipate what's coming next. Because I know I'm not really as bad as that 1 Net WPM that I logged on that one section!

So I thought I'd take a break and share links to a few of my recent Fiskars projects.


memo board finished 3 for blog
First up is a memo board I made to demonstrate that, while it can be challenging, it is not impossible to make a gift for a man. You'll need to take a little time to pull the fabrics tight, fold the corners of your fabric neatly, and make the monogram but this is an easy project to make. I used stretched canvases (covered with cork) as the base so there's no need to frighten your husband even more about the prospect of receiving a handmade gift by asking if you can use his table saw in the construction process. A step-by-step tutorial can be found on the Fiskars website. I made an error in listing the size of one of the canvases at one point. The smallest canvas with the monogram on it is 5" x 7", not 4" x 6".


gardening with kids
Next is a project I really, really, REALLY hope some of you will try with your kids. We're big into gardening so my kids have lived their summers in vegetable gardens and they're not easily impressed. But even Caelan, who's 15 and planted hundreds of seeds and plants in his life, couldn't resist declaring how cool this was. I found the instructions for the seed-sprouting part of it in a book and at the time I wrote the article, I hadn't succeeded at getting them to sprout. I was on my third attempt, which I mention in the article, but I finally did it differently than the instructions suggested and they did sprout. Did I mention that this is cool?

kids craft finished sleeve
Here's a peek at what's under the sleeve, before the bean seeds sprout.

A step-by-step tutorial for this seed sprouting activity can be found on the Fiskars site, as well.


tag book finished
I haven't been able to locate this next project on the website but it was slated to go live in May so I'll have to check on it. It's a book made from shipping tags that I bound with an accordian fold.


tag book finished  2
The way the tags are attached to the folds makes it open in a unique way.


tag book finished  4
For a long time, I've been wanting to document some of the hilariously innocent things our kids have said over the years. Putting each little quip on a tag in this book kept it all neatly organized and, since I didn't need photos, kept it from becoming a huge, overwhelming project. So now I have a permanent record of Caelan singing a line from Toby Keith's Shoulda Been a Cowboy. ♪♫ California's full of whiskey, women, and goats!♫♪


tag book finished  3
And a side view of the fun way the book unfolds.


Finally, I have 3 gardening articles that I've not linked here yet.

gardening with kid 2 for blog
First is my article about giving kids their own garden. Yes, that is all Caelan's hard work on display there. We're dying for everything to bloom! And this is just one of his gardens.



strawberry pie for blog
Second article includes some ideas, including the recipe for this fantastic pie (the secret is in the crust), on how to eat strawberries. Funny side note, I used a line Shawn always uses about strawberries and when I told him about using it after the article had published, he laughed at me. Apparently he altered the punchline from a very common joke he overheard a dirty old man telling when he was a kid. So if you've heard the joke and recognize the similarities, you can laugh at my naive moment! He's already said he's sure I've been laughed at about it.



seeds and seedlings for blog
And, lastly, my article about how to decide between planting seeds or seedlings.

And now it's back to the humiliation!
Pin It!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Kendra, your gardening articles are great. What else is planted?

Kendra said...

I know I said I'd post photos and haven't gotten to it yet. I have 6 kinds of tomatoes, potatoes, onions, green beans, kidney beans, black eyed peas, kohl rabi, 3 different kinds of carrots, cucumbers, 2 kinds of cantaloupe, green bell peppers, jalapenos, garlic, and still trying to get my basil and cilantro to germinate!! And the strawberries are done. : (

Related Posts with Thumbnails