Friday, September 3, 2010

Heirloom Sewing

bolster pillow finished

A quick post to let you know I have a new article up on the Fiskars website. This is National Sewing Month and one of my articles is on heirloom sewing. At first my ideas were going the route of something vintage, crochet trims, lace, things that we adults associate with the word heirloom today. The idea was to encourage sewing something that would one day be considered an heirloom to today's younger generations. Suddenly vintage and crochet and lace didn't seem so cool. And I really wanted to create something that is useful. We lead such busy lives these days that I've really been trying to focus on creating things that are usuable instead of just pretty to look at while fulfilling the need for creative outlets for me. I don't mean that everyone should create this way. I realize some people need complete separation from everyday life and their creative process At this stage in my life, this is what makes creating relaxing and enjoyable for me. I feel like I'm outsmarting time. Ha! I did something productive AND I enjoyed it.

Since Will and I are working on redecorating his bedroom, I decided to make a pillow for his bed. We went through a lot of photos together and agreed a bolster pillow was what we wanted. He thought the different shape was cool which to me meant he would be more likely to use it than just throw it on the floor. I thought it would be great for family movie nights when he lies on the floor with a blanket.


bolster pillow zipper
You can read more on my thoughts about sewing heirloom items, how to include kids in the process and some general instructions on how to make a bolster pillow. And don't be afraid of the zipper. You can make one without a zipper, although inserting a zipper isn't as complicated as we tend to make ourselves belive when we've never done it. I used one because I know my boy and wanted to be sure the cover is washable!


bolster pillow finished 2
The pillow was proven to be useful the very next day. Will was sick, evidenced by the fact that he didn't care that we saw his bed hair all the way into the evening when he took his shower. He laid on the couch all day with his new pillow. It's a winner!

Don't forget to enter your name on the last entry if you want a chance to win the backpack. I'll be choosing a winner sometime tonight.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!
Pin It!

3 comments:

Courtney Walsh said...

oh kendra, i wish you could teach me to sew!! this is so awesome!!

Pam said...

Poor Will! I hope he feels better soon! Love the pillow! Can you please come visit me and teach me to sew so I can sew on something other than my scrapbook pages?

Farmers 8 Daughters said...

Laughing about Will's hair, remembering a scrapbook page you did years ago about it :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails