Thursday, September 30, 2010

I Did My Best and Now I Want the Rest

P90X 2

3 months ago I set a goal. I decided to hang out with this guy for an hour to an hour and a half each day, to do follow his mantra, do my best and forget the rest.

A little over a year earlier I had discovered Facebook. And on Facebook I discovered old friends. And I discovered a way to be in constant contact with existing friends. And I made new friends. And my body began telling me that my metabolism was almost 40 years old. It began showing me that it couldn't compete with Facebook. I gained 12 lbs in a little over a year from spending too much time sitting on my butt in front of the computer.

12 pounds may not sound like a lot to some but I'm a small woman so 12 pounds was the difference between being able to suck in my gut or not. I couldn't do it anymore. When Will progressed beyond seeing how far he could poke his finger into my belly button to squeezing on either side of it and saying, "Look! You have another butt!" I decided I needed to do something about it. Other adults will sympathize with you and tell you that happens to us as we get older. A kid will tell it like it is!

My friend Jenifer had been doing P90X and encouraging me to start too so I did. I'm in the last week of the 13 week program. I've exercised hard nearly every day for over 12 weeks. I've lost 10.5 of the 12 pounds I'd gained! I still can't suck in my gut but it's good that I can't now. There's not enough there to suck in!

While getting rid of my gut was my main goal, I'm just as excited about other results. My muscles in my legs are starting to look toned, something I haven't had since I was in my early teens. My hips are getting smaller because the fat deposits sitting on top of them are shrinking. I can depants myself wearing my "big" jeans I bought this summer! I can share that because you all already know I'm weird! I can climb our stairs now without getting winded. The most unexpected result is my heart feels different when my heart rate is elevated. It's a good feeling now. It feels healthy instead of stressed.

Shawn commented the other day that he's never seen me stick with an exercise program for so long, especially one that makes you exercise every day. But I think that's the key. It becomes part of your daily routine and just know you have to do it.

If you've been thinking about improving your health through exercise, research P90X. I can tell you it really does work! Now that I've gotten rid of my extra weight, I'm getting ready to do my second 13 week round of it. My abs and my butt have said bring it! It's just a little peer pressure from my legs.
Pin It!

7 comments:

Laura Fiore said...

LOVE it Kendra! Congrats on sticking with it and getting rid of what bugged you!

Sasha Holloway said...

Girl I could not agree more. P90X is the way not only doing it at home but they even added it to our mandatory PT ..WTH LOL. Now darling Ima need you to get cranking on Intensity now .. hee hee

CONGRATS you are so right .. 10lbs is alot on some people depending on what their body type and frame is .. so you go girl.

jkhenson said...

I started the half marathon training, but ate more than the calories I was burning. I have P90X but haven't used it. I'm starting on October 18-the day after my half marathon. Wish me luck! :) Thanks for the encouragement... I can't suck my gut in either. It's oozing out over the top of my fat jeans... :(
Awesome that you have stuck with it and have done such great things for your body! :)) Congrats!

Liz in MO said...

Kendra, you look so healthy and happy in this picture! Congrats!

Liz in MO said...

Kendra, you look so healthy and happy in this picture! Congrats!

Pam said...

Way to go! Congrats! Can you please send of your determination my way?

Rachel said...

congrats on all of your progress. For me it was too much sitting around at work and not enough moving around. So, I started running. I'm taking a week off because my hip has been hurting but I've run regularly since January and have lost 19 pounds. That whole sucking the gut thing is important. I no longer have to do it and it's awesome. I also hear you on the going up and down the stairs. It's nothing now! It feels so good! I don't remember when stairs became a burden and I hope I remember that they don't have to be. Keep up the good work. Facebook can be motivating too, especially when you see all of the progress that friends make toward their healthy body goals.

Related Posts with Thumbnails