Thursday, November 18, 2010

How to Make a Warm and Fuzzy Rag Quilt

I'm breaking from Arterial Blood Gas Study, Basic Metabolic Panel, and Beta human chorionic gonadotropin to share a few things with you all today. I know. How could I find the will-power to break away from things like this:

ABGs are performed in order to test oxygen function in the lungs and how well carbon dioxide is expelled from the bloodstream. Blood is drawn from an artery and values include: pH (test for acid/alkaline base), PaO2 (oxygenation pressure measurement), PaCO2 (carbon dioxide dissolution assessment), HCO3 (bicarbonate), and SaO2 (oxygen saturation levels).

And how can the anticipation of this one farther down the page not keep my eyes glued to my monitor:

Leukocytes (white blood cells), hemoglobin, hematocrit, platelets, red blood cells (rbc’s), MCV (mean corpuscular volume) and MCH (mean corpuscular hemoglobin), MCHC (mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration), erythrocyte sedimentation rate (most often dictated as “sed rate”).

Don't let the fact that all of this is passing my eyes and touching my brain impress you. For now I just have to be familiar with all this gobbledygook and know where to look for it in reference material if I don't remember how to spell it. They tell me once I start actual transcription practice it will all begin to make more sense. Right now, I can pick out words I've learned but when someone dictates a bunch of them all together in a sentence, my brain gets behind searching for each meaning and making them work together. I'm still feeling pretty confident. I mean, I used to hang on ever word Doug Ross and Dr. Green spoke every single week. That surely qualifies me to be a medical transcription editor. Then again, I've never stayed in a Holiday Inn. Maybe I'm overly-confident here. And I think with that, it's obvious, even to me, that it's time to move along.



rag quilt start for blog
I have a new article up on the Fiskars website showing the process of going from this






rag quilt finished for blog
to this with a time investment of about 20 hours. So you can be just like me and work on it 1 hour a month, finishing it in just under 2 years. Or you can be just like me and in 20 hours of a 24 hour time frame, have it finished just in time to climb under it and collapse from sleep-deprivation. I am a Gemini.

My basic tutorial on how to make a rag quilt can be found on the Fiskars website.
Pin It!

5 comments:

mcscraps5 said...

I love everything about this quilt! I'm not a quilter or anywhere near a seamstress. I own a sewing machine to stitch on scrapbook layouts, which I have done a total of 1 times. But this is going to make me make a quilt!!

But a couple of questions: what size are the squares, and do I need to wash the material first to avoid shrinkage? TIA

Claudia

kendra said...

Hi Claudia! The squares I used were 7". Next time I'll use more of them and make it big enough for me to use. But this is a good size to for a first quilt and when finished, it's a great size for kids!

I read other tutorials before I started and found some people recommended that you do prewash. Others said not to, that it adds to the charm of the quilt to have some puckering. I did prewash mine but probably won't on my next one, just to see if there's much difference.

I had another reader email me and say she made one as her very first quilt and had it completed in a day. Good luck! And I'd love to see a picture!

g said...

Kendra, I've always, ALWAYS wanted to quilt, but it's an intimidating venture for me to say the least. This sweet rag quilt just might be the thing to make me test the quilting waters! Thank you!!!!! :D

g

Danielle said...

I had to laugh because I am the exact same way and I am a Gemini too! :)

Farmers 8 Daughters said...

Another awesome project! Where do you find all the time!

Related Posts with Thumbnails