Monday, November 8, 2010

My Pottery Barn Style Bulletin Board

pottery barn style cork board finished
It will probably come as no surprise to any of you that I'm a Pottery Barn fan. Who isn't? Unfortunately, I'm also a yard sale, thrift store, pick-it-up-off-the-curb fan. It's uncommon that these two loves can co-exist peacefully in the heart of a person and so it is with me. I have a constant battle being fought deep within when I look through PB's catalog or their website. Yet I continue to look because the inspiration is incomparable.

I've had my eye on their 12 x 12 tile bulletin boards for some time now. Will and I have been redecorating his room over the past few months and I finally found my motivation to make one of these! And instead of the $150-$300 (sale) price I'd have to pay Pottery Barn, my total investment was around $30. To be perfectly honest, it was $20 + a bag of rabbit manure. My mother-in-law has sweet bargaining skills. I sent her on a mission to find me an inexpensive large frame that was divisible, both in length and height, by 10, 11, or 12 inches.

pottery barn style cork board finished 2
She showed up 2 days later with this. I was hoping for an old big dark frame and that's what she delivered! It had a $10 price tag on it but she had traded the woman selling it for a bag of rabbit manure instead.

Reading the description on the Pottery Barn website, their tiles are hung individually on the wall and the frame is hung around the finished grouping. Shawn cut a piece of scrap lumber left over from the construction of our house to fit the opening. I covered cork panels in fabric (Will didn't want any of the galvenized panels) and used Elmer's Wood Glue to adhere them to the board. All one piece and much easier to hang!


pottery barn style cork board finished 3
You can find the tutorial for making your own Pottery Barn Style Bulletin Board on the Fiskars website.
Pin It!

3 comments:

Farmers 8 Daughters said...

Way to go! It looks great. Way to save $$ too - you know I am right there with you on that :-) The only thing I have ever bought from PB was bedding for my kids room, and I probably could have made it, but they had been on matresses on the floor for 2 years with random bedding, and when we got them new (old) beds, we splurged. They will be the quilts they have forever for the price we paid HEHE

Anonymous said...

car loan online rate dodge caravan malfunction indicator light ford winstar valve gasket auto route program car showroom opening

Anonymous said...

83065.....20956

Related Posts with Thumbnails