Monday, December 20, 2010

Peanut Clusters

peanut clusters 2010

With just a few days left until Christmas, I thougth I'd share some of the things we're doing to celebrate.

Shawn loves peanut clusters and, even though I worked in a candy store when I was in high school and made them all the time, until a few years ago I never made them at home. For some reason he had a big craving for them that year so I went to his mom for the recipe she used when he was young. My mother-in-law is a fantastic cook but the recipe she used, not so good. They were waxy and hard. It never occured to me that there could be good and bad recipes for homemade peanut clusters. I thought you just bought those chocolate wafers, melted them in the microwave, dumped in some peanuts, and spooned them out onto wax paper. That was how we did it in the candy store!

I started searching the internet and trying different recipes. I stopped when I found this recipe. They have a great flavor but their texture is what I really like. They aren't waxy or hard but, at the same time, they aren't too soft. They're perfect! And, as the title proclaims, they are easy!

I found this Peanut Cluster Recipe on Cooks.com. The recipe calls for white almond bark but I substitute Nestle's White Chocolate Chips.


peanut clusters
I use the double-boiler method. I've used the microwave in the past and the chocolate sets up before you can get it all spooned out. I have a "real" double boiler but I don't think I've ever used it. I just set a Pyrex bowl over the top of a large pan of water.


peanut clusters 2
Spoon the melted chocolate and peanut mixture onto wax paper using a second spoon to push the mixture off the spoon.


peanut clusters 3
When you're finished, you'll have about 85 peanut clusters. Of course, they're so good you'll also EAT 85 peanut clusters so make sure you have someone to share them with!

Easy Peanut Clusters

1 1/2 lbs. white almond bark
12 oz. package of milk chocolate chips
12 oz. package of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 - 1/2 lbs. salted peanuts

Melt almond bark and all chocolate chips. You can use a crock pot, double boiner, or microwave. Stir in peanuts. Drop onto wax paper and let set. Makes several dozen clusters.
Pin It!

4 comments:

Melinda K said...

Kendra these look yummy!

Susan said...

Wow, I made that same recipe last week! They are really yummy! This year for the first time making them I used my small cookie scoop -- you know, the kind with the plunger to push out the dough. It worked perfectly to make the clusters! Love your blog!
Merry Christmas!
Susan

Farmers 8 Daughters said...

Your picture of the teal/red JOY letters is amazing - peanut clusters never looked so yummy :-)

Anonymous said...

Can I make it without almond bark

Related Posts with Thumbnails