Monday, January 10, 2011

There's Something In the Air

blame it on the dog

When you live on a farm, you encounter a lot of stinky smells. There's the expected smell of manure. Cow manure. Chicken manure. There are no sewer systems on a farm so you might find yourself with a malfunctioning 5-year-old septic system that was improperly installed. That would mean until you nag and threaten (and threaten some more) the septic guy enough to fix his mistakes, on rainy days when the ground is saturated you'll smell human manure.

Then there are the less-common-but-not-unheard-of smells. For instance, it's possible when you're in the garden turning the soil over for the first time in the spring, you could unearth the deer head you forgot your husband and kids buried for the bugs to clean up. After you do your heebie-jeebie dance and the theme song to Deliverance begins playing in your head, you notice the smell. Then you begin to breathe through your mouth (which has the added benefit if making it difficult to curse under your breath).


blame it on the dog_

I could go on but I think I've made my point. On a farm, the visual beauty of wide-open blue skies, lush green pastures, acres and acres of trees, perching owls and hawks is often mismatched with aromas that offend. Because of the incredible peace and beauty country life provides, we learn to ignore our assault on our olfactory system and go about the business of doing what needs to be done.

There is one smell on a farm, however, that will turn even the toughest of grown men into a nose-covering sissy.

blame it on the dog_2

No one can pretend not to notice a farm dog with a penchant for consuming "delicacies" that are an assault on her gastrointestinal system.
Pin It!

6 comments:

Kristi Smith said...

I could probably give that dog a run for her money. ;)

Those pics are too funny! Esp. of Trudy!

Debbie said...

I agree. Awesome pictures!

Tiffany Sherman said...

Thanks for the laugh... no really, I have tears in my eyes!

Liz in MO said...

And they are using their "shirt masks". I always think of you when I see this (or do this). Remember when you were getting those daily emails with a word of the day, can't remember if it was yuppie, teen or whatever. Yep, sometimes you just have to thank goodness for your "shirt mask".

Kendra said...

You definitely could, Kristi! ; ) Will still talks about what happens when Kristi meets ice cream.

Lol! I forgot about that, Liz. Shirt mask is better than the bra mask, though. Have you seen those, bras that double as a gas mask???

Farmers 8 Daughters said...

Always good for a laugh :-)

I love it when we get to see your teenager - he always reminds me so much of mine, who also rarely shows up on my blog,

Related Posts with Thumbnails