Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Bread Winner vs. Banana Bread

future banana bread

If you've been around here long, you already know the story behind bananas in our house. They are one of the few points of contention in our marriage. I love bananas but there is only a period of about 36 hours in their life that I think they are edible as a peel-and-eat snack. Shawn therefore feels I should only buy 2 bananas at a time. He hates bananas. He hates the taste of them, the texture, the smell. So when they look like this, not only do they look and smell nasty, he knows I'm not going to eat them. Usually he comes in and asks if I'm going to make banana bread, a gentle hint to please get rid of them. Occasionally he must be thinking about the dog that pooped on him or the anal glands he had to express or the pus filled abscess he had to lance to pay for the grocery bill that week and it's on.

"How much do bananas cost?"
"I'm going to make banana bread."
"How much do bananas cost?"
"Sometimes they are on sale for 25 cents a pound."
"How much did
you pay for bananas?"
"I'm going to make banana bread. Caelan loves it in his lunch."
"I bet we've thrown away ______ dollars in bananas throughout our marriage."
(The number varies by a thousand dollars or so depending on how irritated he really is which depends on how nasty the bananas look/smell.)
"I'm going to make banana bread!"
"I don't understand why you don't just buy 2 bananas."
"You can't make banana bread if you only buy 2 bananas."
"I can't believe you eat something that looks like that. That's digusting."


Then I leave them on the counter even longer because, while bananas are perfect for peeling and eating at a certain point, they are also perfect for banana bread at a certain point. And this isn't it. They have to be black and beginning to wrinkle and squishy. It's my opinion that the bread tastes better when the bananas are fully ripe. It also adds more moisture to the bread which has allowed me to adapt a recipe to make it much more healthy. Banana bread typically has a lot of oil or butter in it. A lot if your kids are like mine, anyway, and can sit down and eat a whole loaf in a few hours. The recipe I use allows me to use no butter or oil. The bread is very moist but it does not have the same consistency that banana bread normally has. While it's very moist it has a little more "chew" to it. Caelan prefers it over the typical banana bread recipe so it works out great for me! Healthier and he likes it better.

Here is a link to the banana bread recipe I use.

The only change I make is I elminate the butter and replace it with buttermilk. So I use a full cup of buttermilk instead of 1/2 cup.

And I'll post it here with my change if you're interested and don't want to follow the link.

Buttermilk Banana Bread

Ingredients:

1 1/3 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups mashed ripe bananas
3/4 cup broken pecans

Directions:
Prep Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 1 1/2 hrs

1. Cream sugar and butter.

2. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition - use a mixer.

3. Stir baking soda into buttermilk and add to mixture.

4. Sift baking powder with flour and blend into creamed mixture.

5. Add vanilla and banana and mix.

6. Stir in pecans.

7. Pour into greased and floured 9"x5" loaf pan. (May also use 4 mini loaf pans).

8. Bake at 300 degrees F for about 1 1/2 hours or until loaf tests done with a toothpick. (Bake for 50-60 minutes for mini loaves).

9. Cool for 20-30 minutes before removing from pan.

banana bread
And this is what you end up with. I use 3 mini loaf pans. There is still a lot of sugar in it. When I use smaller pans, the kids seem to eat smaller portions and it lasts longer.

I must have edited this photo sometime between midnight and 2 a.m. because it's obviously not in focus but it sure looked like it was when I finished with it!

So there you go! A healthier version of banana bread that still tastes good.
Pin It!

4 comments:

Farmers 8 Daughters said...

My 15 year old son Eli loves bananas, and eats at least 2 a day. I am with you where I only like them for a certain few days. My husband also likes them and grabs them when he's around. We go through about 10 lbs a week here - no joke! Between all the eating of them, and using them in smoothies, they never get to the point to make banana bread. I actually have to try and find old ones at the store in the reduced produce section if I want to make it. Go figure!

Kristi Smith said...

I have wasted a lot of bananas in our marriage, as well. But I use them for banana chocolate chip bread. I need three black bananas and lots of times I only have two left so I freeze the two hoping to use them when I get a third black banana and then I never take them out of the freezer because I am not sure if they will really taste good after being frozen. So I guess I should go count how many bananas I have in the freezer. :-)

I will have to try your recipe. Wonder if I can throw in some chocolate chips!?!?

Heather Innusa said...

Dontcha love those conversations?!? Too funny & I can totally relate. The only difference is, my husband is incredably - irretatingly - cheap and eats them - and complains about THAT. I'm officially turning them into banana bread :D. Ha! Thanks for the recipe!!!

Patty Gardner said...

You can definitely freeze the bananas when they get past the point of eating. We do it all the time. We use the frozen bananas for banana bread, pancakes and smoothies. Since I started doing that, I never waste a banana.

Related Posts with Thumbnails