Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Cloth Napkins

I'm rushing through the last of my late morning chores because I'm supposed to start studying in 8 minutes. So, in usual fashion for me, I got sidetracked by the feeling that I need to blog. My justification is I'm finishing up lunch. I have a big bowl of strawberry shortcake in front of me and I'm debating my husbands belief that there is no such thing as a bad strawberry. I cut these up 2 days ago. I like them fresh, fresh, fresh. He'll eat them until they're gone, in any state of mush. I should have saved these for him.

Do you see why I always get behind? I now have 5 minutes left. And I still have to get potato soup going in the crock pot for dinner. Panera's Potato Soup. Or so says the recipe I follow, using 6 cups of potatoes and 1 1/2 teaspoon of season salt. I've never had Panera's potato soup so I blindly followed the crowd on this one. It's really good and really, really easy to make.

One minute left! The real reason for blogging today, I wanted to share a recent Fiskars project.

cloth napkins for blog

A couple of years ago, Shawn said he would really like to have cloth napkins instead of paper. Would like to have was not a request for me to make them. It was just one of those "I wish" things that he shared out loud. So a couple of years later, I made them. I don't know why it took me a couple of years to get to making them. They couldn't be simpler. They are a good beginner's project. You just have to keep in mind that there's nothing spectacular about them when you're finished. You'll have squares with hems in them. But if you use fabrics with patterns that you really like, you'll smile every time you set them out on your table at meal time. And you won't have to fuss with 5 paper napkins per person when your meal is over. Your fingers don't poke through them. And they add a special touch to your meal. You know the difference between sitting down at a restaurant and unfolding a napkin into your lap versus sitting with a pile of paper napkins at Burger King? It just feels nicer. A tutorial with complete step-by-step instructions for making these cloth napkins can be found on the Fiskars website.

7 minutes over! Which gives me 8 minutes to make potato soup and puts me 15 minutes behind which is where my husband swears I always am.
Pin It!

2 comments:

taniawillis said...

BRILLIANT! i adore the fabrics you chose for your napkins too. :) totally adding these to my list of projects.

Kendra said...

Thank you, Tania! All the fabrics came from Walmart so they were cheap. Some are from the $1.50 a yard section.

Related Posts with Thumbnails