Monday, November 7, 2011

Fall Collage

fall framed collage details
I have a new project up on the Fiskars website, a framed fall collage. I love these little collages. Everything is so neatly organized in nice little rows yet the colors and the patterns are totally random and mismatched. Perfect for those of us who can't figure out how to do the mixed media thing in a way that doesn't look like a you set a 5 year old loose in the school art room. I wish my mind worked like a mixed media artist's, but it doesn't. So obvious structure it is.



fall framed collage
I framed it with this ugly old frame my mother-in-law got for free at a garage sale. I love it! I look at stuff like this frame and feel sad for the person who couldn't see the awesomeness of all that texture and was so afraid of having it still sitting on the table at the end of the weekend that they couldn't even put $1 sticker on it.

The scale came home with me a few months ago when I was visiting my grandma. She had me looking in my grandpa's tool closet in the garage for something and I spied it stuck way up high on a shelf. It's one of those things that I'm sure would have been destined for the free box or worse, the trash. I spent many hours outside with my grandpa working on his cars when I was little. I helped him change oil and brake pads and headlights. He talked to me about timing chains and pistons and spark plug gaps. I helped him mix up smelly epoxy resins and use it with fiberglass cloth to do body repair. I'm sure he realized I didn't understand most of what he was explaining to me! But he made me feel so special because he used all those big words around me and took the time to explain what he was doing as if he thought I could remember it all. Good times. And that scale with the army green chipped paint and grease on it takes me back to those days when I was so in love with my Grampy and I knew he had to be one of the smartest, most important men in the whole world.
Pin It!

3 comments:

Debbie said...

I've been looking for an "ugly" frame just like that! I love it too. :-)

JenW said...

I love the frame =) You are so talented !!!
Woot Woot

Melissa said...

This is completely gorgeous Kendra. I so love your work!
Melissa

Related Posts with Thumbnails