Friday, December 2, 2011

December Daily

I decided Monday evening that I was going to do December Daily. I've never done it before but earlier this year I participated in Week In the Life and I discovered something through the process. I used to scrapbook nearly every day. Through the years, I've gotten more involved in other crafts. The time to to do those other things has to come from somewhere and since I don't think my family will go for never having clean laundry or meals, it came from my scrapbooking time. I'm to the point where I'm lucky to scrapbook once a month. I really enjoyed spending a whole week focusing on taking lots of photos and recording the stories when I did Week In the Life and I realized if I do it and December Daily, I'm getting a good record of what goes on in our family twice a year. At this point, that's good enough for me!

So I started on my December Daily book Tuesday. I'm sure Shawn rolled his eyes when he saw the turquoise, red, and cream. He teases me about using that combination so frequently but getting started late, I didn't want to even try fighting it so I went with it. I decided I'm going to limit myself to spending no more than $5, not counting photo developing, and try to use some of the stuff I've accumulated over the years. I've been looking at the books of others and when I see some of the cool things being used, I realize now it's going to be harder than it seemed when I made that rule for myself! However, going through my stuff, I've discovered tons of stuff I'd forgotten about, so it's a fun challenge.



December Daily Cover
This is what I came up with for my base. I used an old damaged book. I ripped the guts out and just used the covers. Our local office supply store was out of 2 inch rings so it's held together with one defective one for now, and I'll see what it looks like to tie a couple of cheesecloth strips to both rings when I get them.



December Daily Intro
My inside front cover.



December Daily Intro 2
And my intro page.


I've cut pages from a variety of patterned papers for my base pages in the book, but that's it. I have a basket of embellishments and a basket of tools in my dining room to make things go a little faster each day, and I have a list of things I'd like to document. I started yesterday with our Advent calendar and today's page will be about us watching How the Grinch Stole Christmas as a family while we drink hot cocoa and eat popcorn. One of our traditions!

I know some people think a project like this only adds to the craziness of the holidays. I thought that would be the case with A Week In the Life but I found that it actually helped me keep things more organized. I had a list of things I wanted to document and was better about scheduling plenty of time for them. I'm hoping for the same with December Daily.

Hope those of you who are participating it are enjoying it as much as I am! I'll share more pages when I get photos printed and in the book.

ETA: I'm doing new blog enteries as I complete pages but I thought I'd add photos of them to this entry, as well, so they will be all together in one place.

December Daily Day 1
Day 1.


December Daily Day 2
Day 2.
Pin It!

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

After doing December Daily its really worth doing it. I love your album and the colour scheme and its so creative.

Wendy Hammer said...

I love it Kendra! The colors are gorg!

Renee said...

Wow, Stephanie, I love your mini album and the story behind it. Oh, and your blog post is really fun, too!! Thanks for sharing!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails