Monday, January 9, 2012

Quilting Goals Album

Quilting goals minibook for blog

I have a new project up on the Fiskars website. I have, for a very long time, wished to be a quilter. I think it's fascinating how many different ways fabric and thread have been combined into works of beautifully textured art generation after generation. And the fact that someone invests so much of their time into making one and then hands it over to others to lie on while wearing their everyday grubby clothes, to picnic on,to make tents from, to pull one other around on the hardwood floors while giggling, to downright use and abuse, that is a labor of love. I want to be like that, to look at my time as an investment in something bigger and more important. But I over think things, including quilting. Expensive. Tedious. I don't have a free-motion stitching foot. I don't have crazy-clever design skills. What if the fabrics I order don't look good together. On and on. And I never learn more about quilting.

I made this little book hoping it will keep me encouraged to experiment more with quilting this year. The goal seemed more authentic and convincing when I began piecing together fabric remenants and buttons and lace and burlap to create the cover. Not that I would ever use burlap in a quilt! But all those pieces of random texture, visual and tactile, pulling together to create something that is both scattered and harmonious. I'm excited about filling it with samples of my journey into the world of learning how to connect them in more intricate, interesting ways than the simple blocks I've worked with to this point.

The tutorial for making this quilted book cover can be found on the Fiskars website.
Pin It!

4 comments:

mariagrace said...

OMGosh, I love this. I wish I knew how to use a sewing machine. Sigh. I need some of your magic.

Amy said...

I have wanted to make a quilt for many years. I am not very handy with a needle and thread so I have my eye on a sewing/embroidery machine that I have been told makes it easy to create quilts. Maybe I should make a New Year's resolution to complete at least one quilt this year. :)

Erica said...

seeeeeriously gorgeous, miss Kendra.

Wendy Hammer said...

Love it! I haven't sewn in a while, but that is beautiful!

Related Posts with Thumbnails