Saturday, June 23, 2012

Home Of the Wanna-Be Brave

06-17-2012 new project
This is what I'm working with today.  I'm working on a wall hanging for Fiskars that will be used as an in-store educational flyer for Hancock Fabrics.  You know those little flyers you can pick up with a photo of a project and instructions on how to make it?  I have something funky and fun for fall in my mind and can't wait to get started on it. 


06-22-2012 watching toy story 2
This was last night at 1 a.m.  We watched Toy Story 2 and this is the scene where the toys are crossing the street while under the construction cones. Will and I took a quick trip to KC yesteday and got home at 11 p.m.   I was exhausted.  I'd gotten about 5 hours of broken sleep the night before.  After unpacking and showers, he was still wound up and asked if we could watch a movie.  We had just had some 2.5 hours of  the most awesome conversation on the drive home from KC and I didn't want our time together with a connection like that to be over so of course I said yes. 

06-22-2012 thrifting
I had a great day of thrifting yesterday!  Lots of great summer tops and some new (seriously, new as in looks like they were never worn) jeans.  And I got a new 3 x 5 foot American flag.  There was a pile of them that were brand new and they were only $4 each.  When I pulled it out of the bag, Will got really excited and said, "Did you buy me some pants?!"  I told him I had bought him a flag.  He said, "Oh. It's not pants. I really wanted pants. Can you make me some pants out of it?" to which, for a variety of reasons that immediatly came to mind, I promptly replied, "No."  I could just see him in his flag pants, his beloved Chucks, and his favorite orange M&M t-shirt.  That image did make it tempting to whip out a pair of pants for him.  But I thought of him in the future reflecting on his childhood.  I weighed the image of me laughing at him being angry with me for lacking good judgement on his behalf against the image of him thanking me and hugging me for good judgement on his behalf.  I'm patiently waiting on the day of that thank you and hug to arrive. 


brave
While we were in KC, we saw Brave with my mom, and my little sister and her Mr. Wonderful.  It was a cute movie and opened the door to a lot of the conversation Will and I had on our drive home.  His questions and insights left a lot of opportunity to talk about pride, how destructive it can be, and the many ways it manifests in our lives.  So just for that alone, I'm glad we went to see it. And, I left tempted to have my hair layered when I go in for my hair appointment next week. Yes, I know it's probably not wise to ask to have your hair cut like an animated character.  Unlike Merida, I probably won't be brave enough to go through with it.  First, being a brunette, this hairstyle won't have nearly the impact on me as it does on her.  Second, you never see a curly-haired girl in real life with hair this long and this full.  Third, you rarely see someone with curly hair this long wearing it down.  Hair accessories are our best friends.  So I'll probably keep my safe all-one-length hair style I've worn for the past 20 years.  There is a lot to be said for consistency and dependability, too.  That's my cover for my lack of bravery!  I'll just stick with funky with my wall quilt.  Which brings to mind the day I was shopping for the fabric for the quilt.  Another customer in the store saw my arms full of the bolts of fabric and stopped me to ask what I was making. I told her it was for a quilt. She said the colors were different so she just had to ask. So maybe I do have a little bravery in me.  The colors are the same as the Brave movie poster!
Pin It!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails