Friday, November 2, 2012

Gratitude Journal

If you're still checking in here, hi!!! And thank you for still being here even though I rarely am anymore. I'll spare you the I've-been-too-busy-to-blog post. I'm here posting today because last year I followed the blogs (and a few Facebook accounts) of people who were doing a daily gratitude post and I decided I wanted to do this myself this year. I'm doing mine in a journal format rather than just online and the journal I made, I made for Fiskars. Since they post new projects on Mondays and the first Monday of November isn't until the 5th, my journal isn't live on the website yet. So I can't share the cover yet. But I can share my journaling as I add it.

Fabric gratitude journal for November

This is my opening page.



fabric gratitude journal for November 1

And this is my day 1 entry.

The journaling for it reads:

I made this gratitude journal to write in very day for the month of November & I was so focused this morning on someone in my life who is acting foolish, making assumptions that are wrong and causing a lot of dissension in our family that I forgot to start my journal. After I remembered, I was frustrated that I was trying to focus on writing in it & all I could think of is the conversation I'll have with this person next time I see them, struggling with knowing it would only make things worse & I didn't care that it was wrong. I've prayed through it this morning and ended with this, that I'm grateful God created forgiveness & reconciliation & that He showed us what that looks like. I know this relationship will be restored & my focus has changed to that instead of my anger.

I have to be honest and admit I'm not walking around with complete joy in my heart. I'm human and I'm still really bothered by what has happened. But because I'm able to remember that this will eventually be resolved, that misunderstandings and arguments are part of life, I've also been able to pull back and recreate that conversation in my head to be as free of confrontation on my part as possible. I've lived long enough to know that conflicts don't get resolved when insults and sarcasm are interjected. Not only do they not help, they are forever the part of the conversation that is burned into the mind of the person they are directed at. And those are not the kinds of things I want to be defined by when people reflect on their relationship with me.

I'll also be including a quote each day. It may be one that just supports what I already know I'm going to write or it may be something to help direct my thoughts on days when I need some inspiration. The quote for day 1 was, If the only prayer you ever said in your whole life was "thank you," that would suffice. -Meister Eckhart

If you're doing a daily gratitude for November and sharing it online, I'd love to see it! I may not be able to post every day, but please share a link to yours on the days I do post.
Pin It!

3 comments:

Johna said...

This is an awesome journal and I love how you were able to change your outlook on the situation by praying about it! That is something that I needed to hear.
I have to say, I love your handwriting! it is so beautiful!

Alicia Sharp said...

Glad you have done a journal and love your first days entry! It's very different than any others that I've read! I hope the vet business is doing well and things are looking up for you and your family! Saying prayers for y'all as well as the rest of our country! :)

Jess Judkins said...

This is a beautiful journal. Also I am praying for your heart. Take it from someone who allowed someone to just cause family dissension in my life. That after two years some of my in laws have not meet my son Judah yet because we allowed this dissension to go on because we were waiting for an apology. Then a few months ago our pastor was asking everyone, if the sin the person committed against you is far greater than the relationship. Does your love for that person cover over the sins they caused against you and your heart. So hopefully after much prayer we are in the process of reconciliation. We have wanted this for years and although my heart rejoices that the Lord is allowing reconciliation my heart also mourns that we allowed so many months, years to pass of our children not hanging out. That they haven't met my son yet. The Lord has promised, he will give us back what the locusts have eaten.

Praying for peace, reconciliation and a stronger unity because you all came together in the name of the Lord to honor him with your relationships with eachother.

Related Posts with Thumbnails